Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Day 47 Dauphin Island, AL to Pensacola, FL

The Last State

We left Dauphin Island, Alabama by way of a 45-minute ferry ride this morning. We landed on a lovely spit of land that ran between the Gulf of Mexico and Mobile Bay. There was little traffic and lots to look at. After 20 miles we entered a city - I did not notice the name - and the traffic picked up but there was a nice bike lane. After 32 miles we entered Florida, our last state. We rode along a state park beach that provided no barrier for the wind. I found the headwind daunting but others moved into it. Katherine and I switched roles at the state line; I was happy to be driving the Subaru. Many riders stopped at a bike shop, so I stopped there, too. The SAG job was not challenging today. The smoothly paved roads were clean with wide bike lanes in both Alabama and Florida. Although the humidity was high, the temperature was in the 70s. We enjoyed our last margarita party this evening. I am certainly wondering how I will adjust to real life next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment