Monday, April 4, 2011

Day 32 Bastrop to La Grange, TX

How Do You Photograph the Wind?

On Friday, I had the third pair of cleats put on my bike shoes during this trip. I had had a pair that lasted a year before the trip. The bike mechanic suggested I purchase cleat covers to keep the cleats from deteriorating and to make walking easier. Wonderful. This morning, I pulled out of the motel onto the highway wondering why I could not clip in. By the time I figured out that I was still wearing the covers, my adrenalin was flowing fast. My heart was warmed up way before my legs this morning.

We rode 16 miles through beautiful Bastrop State Park. It was 74 degrees and sunny and the pine forest was enchanting. About ten miles along, a front moved in; clouds formed, the temperature dropped to 63 degrees, and 25 mph winds picked up. The enchanted forest became a little scary. Add to that the fact that my bike started making a worrisome clicking sound, that turned out to be only a pedal clicking against my pump. The major factor in today's ride was the wind, but I could not photograph that. The rest of the ride was beautiful and fast, aided by strong tailwinds. It was one of my favorite rides so far.

1 comment:

  1. Woo Hoo for great, fast rides. It is amazing how quickly the weather can change on you, particularly at this time of year. It must have been a treat to go through the park instead of being on the highway.

    ReplyDelete