Thursday, March 24, 2011

Day 20 Van Horn to Ft Davis, TX

The route today was ninety miles, so Katherine and I split the day. She rode the first half and I drove the .SAG vehicle; we switched roles at the lunch break. (I hope you like the stylish hat.) Katherine rode 48 miles on difficult chip seal pavement. Picture gravel that has been glued down. This stuff really slows you down. Add to that a fierce headwind. I did not envy her! At the lunch break we turned on to a secondary road that headed southeast, so that now the wind was behind us. However, the next thirty miles were a climb to an observatory at 5,050 feet elevation. I must admit that my enthusiasm waned at times. I had to tell myself that I could go another hundred yards and then another hundred yards. But at other times, I was absolutely enthralled by the silence of the surrounding hills, the aroma of the flora, the touch of a cooling breeze heading downhill, the taste of dust on my lips. I was rewarded by a final ten-mile downhill. I arrived at our lodge at Davis Mountains State Park at 5:30, just in time for dinner. I feel a tremendous sense of accomplishment for completing the second half. I am in awe of the women who completed the whole thing.

1 comment:

  1. The hat adds a nice touch - never saw one worn with bike shorts before. Congratulations on finding the likeable parts of each day, one hundred yard stretch at a time.

    ReplyDelete