Sunday, March 13, 2011

Day 10 Apache Junction to Globe, AZ

The word from our "map meeting" was: If you can do this day, you can do any day on this trip. Therefore, I planned to do this day. It was not a long day - only 49 miles. Beware those shorter days! They are usually loaded with climbs. This one included a pair of two-mile climbs, among others. The roads were in good condition but in places the shoulders were narrow to non-existent. There were lots of curves. There was a tunnel (shown in the background of photo.) The Sunday traffic included a full complement of motorcycle riders, who generally gave us plenty of room but made a lot of noise. I had to put my mind in neutral and set out, taking one thing at a time to avoid emotional overload. In retrospect, the day did not seem so hard. The climbs were all manageable by finding a comfortable gear and pedaling slowly. I chose my lowest gear, only because I did not have a lower one. But it was really fine. At 40 miles, the SAG driver came along to pick up another lady who was having shifting problems. I was having trouble clipping my shoes into the pedals, and traffic was picking up, so I jumped In the SAG car, too. I had climbed all of the hills by then, so felt that I had met the challenge. I hope that I am, indeed, prepared for any future demand.

2 comments:

  1. You go girl!!
    I know you were prepared to meet any challenge on this trip - good for you in conquering a tough leg of the trip.

    RE Japan - Anderson Cooper is on-site in Japan, so you know now we'll have rational, unbiased reporting. :)

    Pedal & Pray!!

    Love ya -

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marge, I know you are prepared for any future demands! Loved your comment about using your lowest gear because you did not have a lower one!! You crack me up! Praying that you remain safe and continue to have road angels all the way.

    ReplyDelete