Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Day 54 Perry to High Springs, FL

We had a 76-mile ride through central Florida today. We are definitely out of the panhandle now. We started out through more woods. The trees blocked the winds and the clouds kept us from overheating, if not from sweating. After the trees, we encountered more agricultural. The egg megafarms were mighty unpleasant. The pastureland with cows, horses, or sheep were lovely. The roadsides were lined with wildflowers! A feast for the eyes. We rode on several miles of bike path adjacent to the highway. About mid-ride, we turned onto some backroads heading to Inchetucknee Springs State Park where we had a SAG stop. It was a lovely little treasure with a spring fed pond for swimming. I enjoyed looking at it while I consumed my peanut butter sandwich. Fortunately, I had bug spray or the mosquitoes might have consumed me. From there, we headed on to our motel, which is right out of the 60s. It is conveniently appointed, the AC works well, and we are all on the first floor. We are happy to be here. The roads in Florida continue to be fine - smooth, wide shoulders, clean, flat, manageable traffic volume. Florida gets the highest marks for riding from me.

It is hard to believe that we are so near the end. I am pondering what it has all meant to me.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds to me like WomanTours needs to design a Florida tour.

    ReplyDelete