Sunday, April 3, 2011

Day 31 Blanco to Bastrop, TX

Central Texas -Memories and Thoughts

Interstate 35 runs north-south through Texas, including Dallas, Austin, San Antonio all the way to Laredo. We traveled it so often when we lived in Austin. Today I passed under it on my bike. It felt like a huge leap forward. Too bad there was absolutely no photo op due to traffic. Then the bluebonnets appeared. The weather has been too dry to provide the prolific show that I remember, but I saw them all in my memory. Beautiful! Thank you, Lady Bird Johnson.

The ride was 93 miles today. The chip seal was not horrendous today, merely annoying. However, the winds were strong and really slowed me down at times. Also, the Sunday drivers were out in force. I suppose they had all been to church. Katherine and I have decided that we do not need to do the "REI" (ride every inch) ride, so neither of us finished the route. When we were trying to get our bikes plus one more on top of the Subaru, we were challenged by the reach. So Katherine hailed a family to give a hand. They were so kind and Luis and Nathan had three bikes up there in a flash. They were absolutely the only people in sight in the town of Lockhart. It was their first time to visit there. They were definitely our road angels today. Day after day, we are overwhelmed by the helpfulness and generosity of strangers we encounter.

2 comments:

  1. It seems that every day has something special in it - thank goodness for willing helpers. The bluebonnets are lovely - I'm glad you included a picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems that every day has something special in it - thank goodness for willing helpers. The bluebonnets are lovely - I'm glad you included a picture.

    ReplyDelete