Friday, April 1, 2011

Day 28 Vanderpool to Kerrville, TX

Texas Hill Country

Our stay in Vanderpool was delightful! Our little cabin was charming and roomy. Linda, our cook extraordinaire, had a kitchen in which to prepare another fabulous dinner and breakfast. We ate inside. The weather turned beautiful again, after three overcast days. It was chilly in the morning but warmed up nicely.

The ride was gorgeous. I can understand why Katherine and Jack and LBJ and so many others love the Texas Hill Country so! We had a major climb about 15 miles outside of Kerrville. I was climbing as best I could then rounded a bend that was suddenly steeper. I made a snap decision that walking the short stretch to the top would not injure my ego. Katherine's bike computer registered it as a 14% grade. Katherine rode up. When we arrived at the top, her husband Jack and her brother John were there to greet us. What a surprise! After meeting many of our fellow riders , they drove down near us. We dropped off our bikes for service and cleaning and enjoyed a wonderful lunch at Mamacita's Mexican restaurant. Jack ferried us to their family lodge about 14 miles out of town. We settled in comfortably for laundry, coffee, and afternoon naps. Katherine's delightful and thoughtful cousin Ann invited us to her cabin next door for dinner. Our "rest day" will be pretty full with Katherine's family and friends. I must say, I am pretty excited about getting my hair cut. It's the little things!

1 comment: