Saturday, March 12, 2011

Day 9 Phoenix to Apache Junction, AZ

Today our route led us to the eastern edge of the Phoenix metropolitan area. We started out through a residential area then into the exurban section. All riders were in by 2:00. I never took a photo, so I will talk about SAG stops. SAG stands for "support and gear." Our Subaru stays within about 20 miles of us, if possible. It gets harder at the end of the day, when it stays nearer the slower riders. The faster riders mostly go on ahead. The photo is a typical SAG stop. The first thing we do is fill our water bottles, then snack on fruit, snacks, energy bars, etc. We try to stretch a bit to keep the kinks out. Notice the bushes in the background. Use your imagination. You may notice that Katherine, my traveling buddy who is standing next to me, and I are both sporting black marks on our legs. This is grease from our bicycle chains. Shampoo removes it fairly well.

Tomorrow we head out of town. For several days, we have had mountains looming in front of us. I knew the time would come when we would cross them.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a good day. I think the SAG wagon is what makes a trip like this possible, yes? I can't imagine doing it any other way.

    Onward and upward!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's your entertainment - other than scenery - when riding? Are you able to chat with each other?
    Thinking about the mess in Japan - riding would be good time to "Pedal & Pray"!

    Take care -

    Barb

    ReplyDelete