Friday, March 18, 2011

Day 14

Day 14 Rest Day, Silver City, NM
Things that have changed

After eight straight riding days, we were so grateful for a rest day. God rested every seventh day, and I understand why. We had a quiet day of laundry, picking up our bikes, and grocery shopping. Grocery shopping on a bike poses some difficulties. We wore bike clothes that had many pockets and stuffed them all. Katherine hung my sandals on a string around her neck. Needless to say, we were quite a sight riding back up the hill.

After seventeen days of living out of a suitcase,I have made some changes in the way I view life. I have decided that two pairs of pants and three shirts are enough. I am sure I own way too many clothes, and other stuff, too, for that matter. In the past, I took only one Ibuprofen at a time, and even that rarely. Now I consider it part of my diet. Lisa, aka "Young Pup," calls it Vitamin I. I am annoyed most every afternoon by the over packaging of cups and soap in motel rooms. It should not be such an effort to penetrate these wrappings. I no longer pay much attention to my bike computer. I follow the mileage so I know when to turn. But I do not look at average speed; that is a joy killer. I do not look at maximum speed; that scares me. I do not look at number of riding minutes; it only confirms how I feel. I do not look at the clock. If the sun is in front of me, I know it is morning. If it is behind me, it is afternoon. If I am hungry, I know it is lunch time. It is pretty much always lunch time. Yeah for the simple life.

2 comments:

  1. I think this is my favorite entry of your so far! Funny, true and very "you"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By this time, a number of riders (2010) decided to pack up non-essential clothing, etc, and mail it home! It beat hauling it across the country, packing and re-packing it every day!

    LOVE the assessment of the simple life!

    ReplyDelete